Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Swearing toddlers

Question
Hello. My name is Lorena. I have a set of 2.5 year old twins. Their father swears a lot in front of them, and they have picked up some ugly words. I hate it! I have discussed with their father on multiple occasions that they have picked up these nasty words and that he needs to stop. Well he hasn't, and I'm up to my limit with my beautiful children spitting out such vile words. Is there a way I can discipline them or get them to stop swearing? Thank you

Answer
Hello Lorena,
Toddlers are very good at picking up words said in their presence. They also like to imitate others. That's how toddlers learn.
You can try to encourage them to use other words and refrain from using swear words, but toddlers aren't usually very good at controlling themselves. They also enjoy all the attention they get for inappropriate behaviors. If their father is not concerned about curbing his own swearing, it is going to be very difficult for you to change their behavior.
I think the only thing you can do is what parents typically do with toddlers to influence their behavior. You can make sure you don't reinforce their swearing behavior. You can best do this by ignoring it and being sure you don't laugh at it or make a big deal out of their swearing by scolding them, punishing  them, or talking about it. On the other hand, you can give them praise and attention for using appropriate words and language.
I hope their father recognizes the impact that his behavior has on his children and stops swearing in front of them. Maybe he needs to be embarrassed by them swearing in the wrong situation or at the wrong time, so he sees that he has to change.
Best,
James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell