Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/my toddler

Question
Dear dr.james:
Today my 4 years old son was doing some paper crafts ,then he suddenly started to yell: "it's not working .i am a loser, i am a loser ".
I came to him and asked to help him ,but he kept yelling and saying "i am a loser"
I told him he's not a loser and he's a successful boy ,and maybe the way he does the thing is not working and maybe if he tries another way it might work ,but he kept saying that he is a loser !
This is not the first time that happens.
Any problem within his playing or any wrong with his toys ,my son yells and shouts and gets angry!
And for information i had never ever told my son that he is a loser! On the contrary i always encourage and support him in any project or drawing he does.
please i want to ask:
Did i react right to the situation?
why my son do this "yelling and shouting and saying that he is a loser"?
what behavior that possible i do cause this kind of my son's behavior?
What should i do in such case ?

Answer
Hello Zeina,

I don't think you are doing anything to cause this behavior. Nor do I think anyone else is causing this. More likely, it is related to his temperament and personality. That is, your son tends to be more exacting, more of a perfectionist, and with a greater need to be right and do things well. Obviously, these are not necessarily bad traits to have, but it can cause him to be less than satisfied with himself.
There are a few things I think you should do. Certainly, you can continue to be a loving, supportive parent. And do not associate your love and affection with his performing well on tasks. Beyond this, you can demonstrate to him that it is all right to make mistakes and that people do not have to be hard on themselves when they are not able to accomplish certain things.
For example, if you were trying to follow a recipe to cook a meal and it wasn't coming out right, you could use this an example. You could say in front of your son: "I made a mistake. I didn't do this recipe correctly. Are you mad at me because I didn't cook this food to perfection? You're not mad at me? Oh, that's good. Then, I'm not mad at me either. You know what, I learned from this. The next time, when I try to cook this recipe, I will try something different; then I think it will come out better."  
The more you show that it is silly to suggest someone else would be angry with you or that you would be hard on yourself for a simple error or mistake, the more he can learn from you. Hopefully, soon, he begins to imitate you and asks if you are mad at him for not being able to do something to perfection. Then you can say: "I love you even if you are not doing things to perfection."
I hope this helps. Any questions?

James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell