Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Trilingual toddler language delay?

Question
Hello James,
I have a 31 months old daughter whose development is perfectly fine, except that she is not speaking as I would expect her to at this age. Of course, she lives in a trilingual environment, me speaking French, her daddy German, both speaking English to each other. She also goes to a English daycare so this would be her dominant language. Her 5 year old sister had exactly the same environment and it seems to me that she had started to speak earlier than that. I understand that each child develops at his own pace and I think my toddler has developed her mortician for instance much earlier that her older sister. I also can see how having to deal with three languages can be challenging!
So at this stage, my little one doesn't count or say all colors, but just a few, and mainly in English (which is fine for me!) she is just starting to form two to three word sentences, such as "my coat", "mommy here" or even "mommy sit here". However, she pronounces most of the words incompletely "canard" would be "nar", "spoon" is "poon". I have the impression that she also privileges English although she does often say some French of German words.
Besides, she understands and responds to all three language sin her own way, and repeats the words she does not know.
We read a lot to her, and point out to objects repeating the words, which she sometimes remembers.

Is there anything to worry about at this stage or is it a normal development for a trilingual child?
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Rita

Answer
Hello Rita,
You are certainly right about two things. One, children develop at their own pace (so that your two children may well develop skills at different ages), and two, a child learning three languages is likely to be delayed. Although it is not exactly the same, think how difficult it might be for you to try to learn three new languages at the same time!
The fact that she is saying two or three-word sentences indicates that she is developing language skills. And it is common for young children to say part of a word or leave off a consonant.
I would say you need not worry at this point. You should keep doing all the wonderful things you are doing for her now -- reading to her, talking to her, going over words with her, and helping her to learn colors and numbers.
Best wishes,
James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell