Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Potty training?

Question
What are some good techniques for getting a 2 1/2 year old to start the path of potty training?

Answer
I normally start introducing my kids to the potty at a year, but just be warned...my way is time consuming and requires a lot of laundry. Start putting little one in the potty at every diaper change.explain big boys/girls go poopie and pee pee potty. I created a song for my kids. Go poopie on the potty, go pee pee on the potty, go poopie and go pee pee on the potty potty potty. You might be able to come up with a better song, I'm not great with lyrics. Celebrate the first 50 or so pee pees before starting to act like it is an expected event. Poop usually takes longer to catch on. Also, buy plenty of underwear and replace diapers with pull ups. When the first poop of the day has occurred, switch to underwear after the first few successful pees have happened. Be prepared for several accidents and when changing, just say "you need to tell me petty. People/pee pee needs to go in potty." Also, try taking them as soon as they wake and every half hour throughout the day as long as you are at home or family or friends houses. Whenever you are in a public place with a restroom, visit it. All outings should be in pull ups. Also be prepared they will insist on stripping from the waist down every potty. Just be consistent and don't give up...remember every parent goes through this and every child eventually uses the bathroom.

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

Melissa Payne