Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Refusing sleep

Question
My son is almost 9 months old (8 months and about 3 or 4 weeks. It started a few nights ago, he refuses to sleep and is absolutely inconsolable for more than a few minutes at a time. Usually he sleeps fine, in his own bed no issues. He used to wake up about twice a night, but a bottle and he was back to sleep. No he refuses to fall asleep and when he does it is for no more than 20 minutes at a time. I am averaging about 1 hour of sleep a night for myself. He will sleep during the day for maybe a couple hours. So without the 20 min cat naps at night, he is getting maybe 4 or 5 hours a sleep a day. I need help. I have tried to let him cry it out, and he will cry for hours and hours. I just can't handle it anymore. I have a two year old daughter as well, she has her own room and his restlessness and wakefulness is interrupting her sleep as well. Not as much as mine thank god. I just am at a complete loss on what to do now. Please Help!

Answer
I feel what you are going through, believe me. I have a newborn that is giving me about the same amount of sleep. The one thing you didn't tell me is if you have a solid bedtime routine - try a bit of hyper play (tickling, moving around to music, crawling around on the floor) for about a half hour. Then a short warm bath and some quiet time where you read a story or sing a couple lullabyes. It may help also to have  radio or CD player in his room playing jazz or classical or lullabyes all night. This may provide a consistency through the night for him. Also, although they don't recommend letting an infant have a bottle of formula through the night, I have found that a bottle of water during the night in the crib can help...it will give him something to drink without you having to get up and get it for him.  Hope this might help.

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

Melissa Payne