Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Stunted growth

My 2 kids both appear to have stunted growth and too small weight. the first who is 3 years and 10 mnths is just 12kg by weight while the second who is 2yrs and 1mnth is just 8.5kg Pls, what can i do to improve their growth and weight? I ave given them series of multivitamin/supplements as they dont really eat much food but all seem not to be effective. Probably i ave not used the correct one pls tell me if u know any drug or watever I can do to solve this problem bothering me.Thanks.

Hi, It does appear from the growth charts as attached below that your children are in or just under the 5th percentile for weight, I don't know how tall they are so you would need to see if they are in the same percentile for height which may indicate that nothing too serious is wrong.  

I am not a medical doctor or nutritionist although from my personal experience, supplements may be helpful for prevention from colds etc but will not assist with putting on weight and most children who eat a varied diet ie. vegetables, meat, dairy, fish etc are getting what they need from food and not falling short in vitamins.  Only a blood test from a doctor could really tell you what if anything your child is lacking vitamin wise.  

If they are active and alert and meeting other developmental milestones, I doubt it is due to anything serious and they will probably grow quickly later.

So long as they are eating and you are offering small quantities of each food group and feed they what they like too.  I don't think there is much more you can do at this age and given that they are both in this weight range it could just be genetics and they will grow rapidly in a few years time.

If you are still concerned I would recommend speaking with your doctor, health nurse or a nutritionist.

The link to the growth chart is here, there are other links if you need.  

Eleanor Formaggio

I can answer questions where practical advice is sought in relation to behaviour issues of 2-10 year olds. I specifically look at the influence of personality in a child's behaviour and tailor advice to suit the individual child and parent. This is useful since not all children are the same. I can suggest techniques for tantrums, child aggression and sibling rivalry and adapting to change.

I am a counsellor and child behaviour consultant based in Sydney, Australia and mum to three boys ages 12,10 and 6. I have been involved in setting up and facilitating community support groups for new mothers and run parenting workshops so parents can better understand their children's behaviour. I have spent alot of time observing personality differences in children and understanding how these differences can be used to make parenting easier. I developed the Early Childhood Personality Rating Scale for identifying child personality types in children as young as two. I am the founder of Parent with Potential and developed the Prechooler Personality Kit and READ personality system for primary aged children. More info can be found at

Book: In this Present Moment: Quality Time Ideas for busy parents.

I have a Bachelors Degree in Applied Social Science (Counselling).

Parents of 2-8 year olds. Mothers with Postnatal Depression or anxiety attending a support group or seeking individual counselling or advice in relation to their child's behaviour.