Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/should I puree everything in a blender?

Question
Like many other kids, my 4-year-old son refuses to eat or only eat a very small portion of good things, including vegetables and fish.

So is it a good idea to puree the food in a blender and garnish them in a way that may be more attractive? Also, I imagine you can lie to the child that those chicken/vegetables are something more fanciful for him.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi Tony, sorry this took me so long, I thought I was on vacation from this sight so if this is not timely that is why.   You are on the right track, puree is a great solution, I use it for myself as I am not a big greens eater but don't even notice them in a fruit and yogurt smoothie.   Lying about a meal does not have malicious intent so I don't see a problem in it.   It is no different than lying about the tooth fairy, Santa or the beach glass just found is an emerald.   Should your child question it then you can assume that strategy did not work on an intelligent child like yours.  I would also consider putting a no thank you helping of the non preferred foods on the plate to help him get used to the look and smell of different foods .   I have observed kids in a government subsidized preschool program in the USA, and which serves nutritious foods learn to try new foods.   At the beginning of the year a lot of food goes in the trash. By the end of the year, most kids are eating everything they are offered.  The program emphasizes family style meals.   The children serve themselves from dishes placed on the table over the adults platting the food.   The rule is they must put a little of everything on their plate.  They are still allowed to turn down eating food and they can take seconds on a preferred food.  There are no ultimatums spoken for example,  "you can have more fruit when you haven finished you vegetable".  I am always amazed to see kids eat raw yam sticks, broccoli,  and meat loaf with onions.   They offer no desert or sweet foods.   The philosophy works well, I wish I had known this when mine were little, I have an adult child who is still a picky eater.  Good luck!
Warmly,
Elizabeth

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

Elizabeth Norris