Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Rewards and punishments for toddlers

Question
I'm working on a feature on rewards and punishments for toddlers for Mother and Baby magazine. In your opinion, what kinds of small rewards or punishments can be given to toddlers for good or bad behavior?

Answer
Hello Arundhati,

I think the best rewards for toddlers are the social and verbal rewards. That is, praise and attention work wonderfully well for young children.

While everyone may be quite familiar with praise ("I like it when you come when I call you"), parents may be less familiar with attention. Calling attention to something a child has done doesn't really involve praise or a compliment -- it just calls attention to something done; and that works just as well sometimes. Examples would be:
 "Look at you! You put your shoes on all by yourself!"
 "I see a smart little boy petting the puppy so gently!"

As for actual rewards, activities and privileges may be the best rewards. For instance, you could say: "You were so helpful in the grocery store today, we are going to the park to play on the swings." Another example: "You and Katie are playing so well together, I'm going to let you play in your sandbox for a few more minutes before you come in for your nap."

These kinds of rewards also suggest the opposite. When there is a problem behavior, you can remove an activity or privilege. For instance, "You and Katie are throwing sand at each other, now you have to come in the house for a while." Or, "I can't let you play with the puppy when you are mean to him. Now we will put the puppy in the kennel and you are going to do something else." Or, "When you draw on the wall with your crayons, then I can't let you play with the crayons for a while."

I hope this helps. If you would like to ask further questions, just get back to me.

Best,
James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell