Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/inappropriate drawings

Question
I have a question about my 10 year old daughter. When I was organizing her clothes in her drawers I came across a journal that she mainly does doodles in, well to my surprise she was drawing anatomical parts of females and males, however the labeling worried me (ass, titties etc.) The next page had a drawing of a man and woman having sex and was labeled "people having sex" , two following pages were "naked man" "naked woman" and the last was of a naked woman with defined makeup titled "naked hooker". She has a younger brother and cousins who are toddlers so she has seen boys privates, but the concern mainly came from the drawing of the figures having intercourse and the "hooker." We do not allow shows like that watched in our household. She does go to a public school and can be exposed to certain terms, I am just curious of if this is abnormal or normal curiousity .

Answer
Hello Abby,
I wouldn't say her interest and curiosity are abnormal.
But having said that, I would say that she has obviously been exposed to more than just terms used at school. She has either seen adults engaged in intercourse, or has viewed images (in photos, movies, or on the Internet). She has learned what a hooker is and what a hooker does. So, I would say that the fact that she is being exposed to adult sexuality is a bit disturbing.
I think you need to find out more about where she is learning about sexuality. Does she watch things unsupervised on cable or view sexually-oriented websites on the Internet at someone else's house? Is there an adult (or older person) who is exposing her to these things? I think you need to do some probing with her to find out. Then, you can decide what you should do.
If you have any further questions or learn more about this situation, please feel free to get back to me.
Best,

James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell