Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Spare the Rod and Spoil the child

Hi Neha,

I am an Indian mother living abroad. Many times i think about the way we are bringing up our children. Kids of our generation were generally scolded and sometimes even slapped and we used to hear "Spare the rod and spoil the kid", how far is that correct. We have grown up to be competent and confident. So i wonder if we should change the way we bring up our kids or should go the western way

HI Anu,

Yes the present generation of kids are different. The saying spare the rod and spoil the kid does not really work they way it used to. The present generation kids are more open to discussion and more vocal when it comes to expresion of thoughts, anger, agreements and disagreements.

Reasoning,logic and setting clear expectations are usually the tools that work with kids these days.

All the Best
Neha Aggarwal Vakil

Neha Aggarwal Vakil

I am working as a consultant in Child Development and Education. And can answer questions pertaining to the development issues of children aged 0-8 years. The answers will be pertaining to the long term benefit of the children and the family on the whole. More doable by parents themselves, with little perseverance and will.

I have been working in various capacities with children both directly as well as indirectly. My major research area has been early childhood care and education.

Indian Government based research organisations.

Presented papers on various National and International forums for Child Development on parent child interactions, parenting practices and providing appropriate stimulating environment.

Master's in Child Development, TA 101

NCERT fellow (a national apex body of government of India; Member Home Science Syllabus review Committee,NCERT