Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/development phases of my baby

QUESTION: hi my baby is in his 8th month.he is not sitting and crawling yet.and i heard that the pace of development varies in babies.
and in 8th month he is able to sit for probably 30 seconds without support.becoz of playing with something all the time,he is bending to get the object,so cudnt sit ..
and if i keep some toy infant of him,he streches his hands and some timeshe lifts his butt by pressing his face to the bed.but not crawling.
Also i never leave my baby on floor yet.and always n bed.because he is lean.
and i asked our doctor., he said there is nothing to worry,ur baby would walk for one that il work,REALLY HAPPEN IN SOME CASES??

.if i make him to stand he will standby taking my hand s for a minute i guess,and if i make him to walk he will take small steps too..

ANSWER: Hello Bhagya,

If you try to follow the guidelines for child development given in books (I have been guilty of writing these guidelines in my own books!), you will always find areas where your child is slow to develop. That, of course, causes unnecessary worry.

Children develop at their own pace. Some crawl very early; others late. Some babies never crawl at all -- they go from moving around on their stomachs to walking.

Children should be given plenty of opportunity to explore the environment on their own. This means that they should be on the floor so they can begin to move around. If you put a toy just out of their reach, then they will have to move in order to get it. It is easier for them to learn to crawl on a hard surface, such as a floor, then on a soft surface, such as a bed.

Remember the guidelines for when the average baby crawls, walks, talks and so on, are just guidelines. Children will vary greatly from these averages.

Continue to play with your baby and help him to try new things by making things just a little more difficult for him (such as putting a toy just beyond his reach when he is on the floor).

Please get back to me if you have more questions.

James Windell

QUESTION: I placed my baby on floor for the first time but,he was little crying ,may be because he is mean ,his rib cage might touching gground.i guess.and by placingmy baby on floor  he  can crawl???it takes much worried because everyone is saying something,but I want to,know the right one.
and thank q for the valuable suggestion ..and plsss guide in this way when ever needed.
plz lemme know the book name which u have written the guide lines..

Hello Bhagya,

I don't think there is an absolute and right way to raise children. However, children do need opportunities to try different things (ass long as they are safe).

If your son is not quite comfortable with or used to floor time, get down on the floor with him and play with him. If he cries, don't pick him up immediately. But gradually, over time, give him more floor time.

The recent book I wrote was "The Everything Child Psychology and Development Book."

James Windell

I can answer questions related to normal child development, disturbed behavior and how to provide appropriate guidance and discipline.

I've been a clinical psychologist in a juvenile court, worked in school settings, been a child psychotherapist in a private psychiatric clinic and consulted with schools, courts, hospitals and daycare centers.

American Psychological Association
Michigan Psychological Association

I have been a columnist with the Oakland Press (Oakland County, MI) for 21 years writing a weekly column called Coping With Kids, which is also published weekly in the Staten Island Advance. I have been a mental health columnist with the Detroit Free Press and a columnist for Working Mother Magazine. In addition, I have published articles in professional journals. I have published 16 books, among them are "8 Weeks to a Well-Behaved Child" (IDG Books), "Discipline: A Sourcebook of 50 Failsafe Techniques for Parents" (IDG Books); "Children Who Say No When You Want Them to Say Yes" (IDG Books), "What You Need to Know About Ritalin" (Bantam Books) "6 Steps to an Emotionally Intelligent Teenagers" (John Wiley & Sons), "The Fatherstyle Advantage" (Stewart, Tabori & Chang) and "Defusing High Conflict Divorce" (Impact Publishers). My latest parenting book (2012) is "The Everything Child Psychology and Development Book." Articles about my work with parents has appeared in the New York Times, the Chicago Sun Times, the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. My website at includes more information about me, my books and includes many columns I've written.

B.A. in Psychology from Wayne State University
M.A. in Clinical Psychology from Oakland University

Best Educational Program by Juvenile and Family Court Judges Association (National award for the development of a parent training program for parents of delinquent teenagers. Beth Clark Service Award from the Michigan Psychological Association.