Hi my baby boy is in15th month.but my babu is not walking yet.he wul stand by taking support and stand without support for few seconds.but again falls down.actually he crawls good,if sumtimes I make him to stand when he crawls he wouldn't like to stand and walk by support of hands at that time .he just wants to play.and my baby rolled over at5th month end,sit at9th month end crawled at 11th month 11,12months he used to stand by taking support of me ....
What might be the reason ....and he is low weight 7.5,is that might be the reason?but he is active enough

Hello Santosh,

The way you describe your son suggests that he has reached various developmental milestones at appropriate ages. And he is healthy, I assume, right? He has seen a pediatrician regularly, I'm also assuming, and he says your son is developing normally. Again, right?
Are there any areas in which he is developing slowly? Such as in his speech and language?
Let me just say that children reach some milestones in developing at different times and usually this is nothing to be concerned about -- although, of course, parents always are concerned. So, in this instance, he is perhaps four or five months behind some children who are walking around 10 or 11 months.
But given this, let's look at the positives. He rolled over and crawled at appropriate ages, which suggests that physically he is doing well. Since he is crawling, he is active and getting exercise.
I would not suggest that you make a big fuss out of trying to force him to start walking. Most children will find a way to do this on his own. What we don't want is for him to get in a battle of wills with you, with you trying to get him to walk and he defying you by not walking. But do put him in situations where he has opportunities to walk. That would mean giving him freedom to walk -- if he chooses -- both in and out of the home. Also, you might put him in play groups of other children his own age. If he sees other children walking and he would have to walk in order to play with them, that might be the encouragement he needs to start on his own. But, again, don't put him around other children say, "Why aren't you walking like the other children?" Simply, let him make his own observations and decide that he will walk in other to be like the other children.
I hope this helps. If you any questions, please get back to me.

James Windell  

James Windell

I can answer questions related to normal child development, disturbed behavior and how to provide appropriate guidance and discipline.

I've been a clinical psychologist in a juvenile court, worked in school settings, been a child psychotherapist in a private psychiatric clinic and consulted with schools, courts, hospitals and daycare centers.

American Psychological Association
Michigan Psychological Association

I have been a columnist with the Oakland Press (Oakland County, MI) for 21 years writing a weekly column called Coping With Kids, which is also published weekly in the Staten Island Advance. I have been a mental health columnist with the Detroit Free Press and a columnist for Working Mother Magazine. In addition, I have published articles in professional journals. I have published 16 books, among them are "8 Weeks to a Well-Behaved Child" (IDG Books), "Discipline: A Sourcebook of 50 Failsafe Techniques for Parents" (IDG Books); "Children Who Say No When You Want Them to Say Yes" (IDG Books), "What You Need to Know About Ritalin" (Bantam Books) "6 Steps to an Emotionally Intelligent Teenagers" (John Wiley & Sons), "The Fatherstyle Advantage" (Stewart, Tabori & Chang) and "Defusing High Conflict Divorce" (Impact Publishers). My latest parenting book (2012) is "The Everything Child Psychology and Development Book." Articles about my work with parents has appeared in the New York Times, the Chicago Sun Times, the Detroit News and the Detroit Free Press. My website at includes more information about me, my books and includes many columns I've written.

B.A. in Psychology from Wayne State University
M.A. in Clinical Psychology from Oakland University

Best Educational Program by Juvenile and Family Court Judges Association (National award for the development of a parent training program for parents of delinquent teenagers. Beth Clark Service Award from the Michigan Psychological Association.