Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Sharing a home; rules, etc

Question
My 21 year old daughter and my 7 month old grandson live with me. She is a single mom and her soon to be ex husband does not come around or offer financial support. She receives about 500 per month in public assistance, pays me 150 per month for rent and utilities, and pays for her own cell phone. She gets WIC but can't get food stamps until she turns 21 next month. She has a car for which she pays 50 per month for insurance and pays for the gas, but doesn't have a driver license. She has friends with licenses who sometimes drive the car to take her places and I use it when I drive her to her appts, etc. She has a boyfriend who once stayed 2 weeks. At that time I asked her to limit evening and overnight guests to a few nights a week. As it turned out, he stays Saturday through Tuesday, 4 nights,  and sometimes brings a guest who stays over a night or more when he's here. I'm spending a fortune on groceries, toilet paper, shampoo, laundry detergent, etc., and my utility bills have increased. When my grandson was born my daughter was lonesome and depressed over her sudden single parent status and sometimes asked if she could have visitors. Those visitors sometimes slept over. I told her, "It's your house too, you don't have to ask permission." I now regret telling her that. With her limited income, and the fact that her boyfriend doesn't have a job and lives with his mom, it looks like her living here isn't going to change any time soon. I don't want to create an unpleasant living environment, causing her to leave, but I want my house back and am not in the financial position to support her boyfriend and his friends. What is reasonable in terms of house quests in our situation?

Answer
Hello Barb,

I appreciate your difficult situation and applaud your desire to help your daughter and grandson. But what is reasonable depends on what you feel.

Obviously, you are feeling uncomfortable with the situation at present as you feel like your daughter and her friends have taken advantage of you. It is reasonable to want to be comfortable in your own home. Therefore, you need to have a conversation with your daughter.

You can tell her that you are feeling like your home is no longer your own and that you want some changes. Then, tell her exactly what you want changed (for example, no one of her friends can stay over night). You don't have to be unpleasant, but you should be direct and clear about your desires and the new rules. And you can give her the reasons for the change in rules.

If you have any questions about my  suggestions, please get back to me .

Best,

James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell