Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/What should a mother

Question
What should a mother do? Her son comes home with his newborn baby daughter. He wants her to teach her son to be a very good father to her grand daughter and help him raise her properly. The mother of his daughter allows his daughter to live with him, if she does not have to pay child support and is allowed to see her child anytime she wants to. If he does not agree to those terms her has to pay her mother child support and be the non custodial parent.

Answer
Darleen Claire Wodzenski
Darleen Claire Wodzens  
Dear Mother,

Congratulations on your new grandchild! I am sure she is beautiful and lovely!!

This seems to be first a legal question that requires an attorney. In some states, the father must be legitimated in order to have the right to raise the child. Then, without an agreement in court about custody and child support, the state may require the noncustodial parent to pay child support.

In my state, the deal you just described would simply not be allowed to take place. So I suggest you find a really solid family law attorney who is sensitive to paternal rights issues. Not all family law attorneys, in my experience, are as skilled about paternity issues as others.

Secondly, this is a situation that might benefit from some family coaching combined with mediation. This is an incredibly emotional and challenging situation. Having a clear minded expert who understands how to negotiate good situations that benefit the child is a good thing.

Lastly, once you have worked out the legalities and practicalities of your son having custody of his daughter, then you could benefit from the support of a parent trainer.

Please let me know how it goes as you work through the stages. It will be work, but you can do this! Keep in mind that people get very emotional about family issues like this, and you can expect the other family to change their minds multiple times as you work through the negotiations. Keep focused on what you want, remain calm, and work with your attorney and coach/mediator.

I wish you the best of luck. I am so proud of you for having such an open and loving heart. Your son and granddaughter are both so lucky to have you.

Warm regards,

Darleen Claire Wodzenski, MA ESE, MA CMHC, QPPE
OrchardHumanServices.org
The Orchard Human Services, Inc.

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

Darleen Claire Wodzenski