Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Child and "food" incident??

Question
I was hanging out with my 4 year old daughter in the backyard yesterday, she was playing around some bushes and I was reading a little. In just a split moment I looked up and it looked like around a 3" sized frog was halfway in her mouth!

I should mention she is in a "mouthing" phase where she puts a lot of things from toys to bugs/worms (eating) in her mouth which I try to prevent mostly. But in this moment it was different.

I was walking over and just as I told her to stop and take it out the kicking legs disappeared inside her mouth! I quickly made her open, but it must have wriggled down quick! My daughter seemed okay after the event.

I was worried and made some calls as she had a small tummy ache about an hour after and we were told she would "pass it" eventually. Nonetheless, we are more watchful to ensure something like this doesn't happen again.

I digress in my recent shocking story, the whole incident got me thinking some and I wanted to clarify some answers. So does that mean she will be able to digest an entire frog bones and all okay and its kicking won't hurt her insides?? Wouldn't there be a way to save the unfortunate animal once it's down inside her chest/stomach?! I just wonder if that would be better for both parties in the situation? Thanks for the feedback! ;)

Answer
Kyle,

After reading this, I feel very fortunate never to have gone through this with my children.

No, I don't think there's any way to save the frog. I would believe that being in the stomach, with lack of air and stomach acid, the frog would pass away rather quickly. This would have been an emergency room trip for me, more than likely.  Especially not knowing exactly what type of frog it was. (Some carry minor toxins that won't necessarily kill a person, but make them sick). I would also think pooping out the remains wouldn't be very comfortableand there might be risk of intestinal blockage. That's where my mind first heads with that situation.

I would certainly watch her very closely outside, and even inside. I believe most kids go through this stage around age 2, so would be questioning why she's going through it at this point and discuss the possibility of PICA with her pediatrician  (think of the tv show Strange Addictions).

As it is, it sounds like you really have your hands full watching her. I wish you the best and hope this is a phase she outgrows very quickly for both your sakes.

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

Melissa Payne