Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/second language

Question
What is/are the best way(s) to teach a baby a second language?  (she is currently 3 mo, very alert)

And does doing so make it easier for them to learn other languages later?

Thank you very much,
Bruce
PS: My daughter speaks Tagalog very well & her husband just fairly well.

Answer
Hello Bruce,

Since the baby is just three months of age, the best way for an infant to begin learning languages is for people to speak those languages in her presence every day.

However, having said that, it is often the case that children learning more than one language often are somewhat delayed in speaking those languages (in comparison with children learning only one language). Yet, I think in the long run a child who is bi- or tri-lingual is at an advantage in life.

If you have other questions, please get back to me.

Best,

James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell