Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/7 months baby refuses to eat

HI ,
I started introducing solid food for my baby when he was 6 months. he is now 7 months and refuses to eat. he keeps his mouth open and does not swallow the food inside his mouth. I tried : mashed potato, mashed carrots, avocado, banana, cereal rice.

I put some time toys in front of him so I can feed him.
I would be very grateful if you can suggest method which can help .

Although some children will eat that early, a lot of them do not and holding off on solid foods until they are around 9-10 months is better. All of my children were on solid foods by the time they were 1, however I only introduced table foods that early with my now 7 year old because he had the most appetite. The others I waited until around 9 months. If you have access to baby food (or want to make your own in a food processor), start with fruits first, then vegetables. It could be the thickness of the food is what is keeping your little one from wanting to eat, or it may be too much for his stomach. He really doesn't have a swallowing pattern down yet for solids.

Melissa Payne

I can answer questions about children from newborn (including preemie) to school age. I can also try to provide emotional support for people who have had a stillborn child. I am a part-time working, stay-at=home, online college attending Mom who has a very hectic schedule and love it. I also have my own blog -, which includes a very affordable email recipe subscription, shirts supporting my site (all proceeds from shirt sales go into my children's savings accounts, so please be generous) and - coming soon - some of my hand crocheted items (pillows and stuffed animals).

I have 7 children - 2 daughters born November 2004, November 2005, a son born September 2008, a son born in September 2010, a son born February 2013, a son born October 2014 and a son born February 2016. My daughter born in 2005 was a preemie (3 months early) and I also had a daughter stillborn in 2006 and a miscarriage of a daughter in 2009.

I am a lifetime member of Business Professionals of America.

I have a diploma in Child Day Care and an Associate Degree in Teacher Aide. I have worked in the Day Care field, as well as having my own children.