Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Language Development

Question
QUESTION: Dear Expert ,
    I have a 26 - Month baby he start talking some words and start also make simple sentence of 3 words just like " Hello grandba bus park" , but  he cannot say the whole words sometime , like bue == "Blue" , Appo == "Apple" , is this normal behavior on his age ? also he is left hand boy , is it normal that he can say some words that considered difficult more than others , like his name its too simple comparing with other words but he is not able to say his name .

Please I need your advise to check if my baby is within his milestone .

ANSWER: Hello Hiba,

Your son is developing just fine. Children at two years of age are just beginning to put words together. So, if he is saying two- and three-word combinations, he developing on schedule with his speech and language skills.

However, he is still learning about words and how to say them. Which means that some sounds will be more difficult. Again, it is typical for children (even up until ages 5, 6 and 7) to have difficulties pronouncing words correctly. "Bue" for "blue" is a typical way that young children mispronounce "blue." But, as with all young children his speech and language develop will seem uneven. That is, he may be able to say very difficult words, while mispronouncing seemingly easy words. Certain letter sounds come along later for many children; sounds such as "sh" (as in should), "ch" (as in church), "th" (as in thanks), and others. The fact that some names are difficult to pronounce is many times the reason why young children give their older siblings (who have difficult names to pronounce) nicknames (my sister was nicknamed Dee by our very young sister because she couldn't say Constance).

The best thing you can do as a parent is to read books to your son every day and talk to him all the time giving him frequent opportunities to hear a variety of words pronounced correctly over and over. That's how children  learn to speak.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, email me again.

Best,
James Windell

QUESTION: Thank you dear James for the above answer , my final question is " if talking earlier is related to Child's intelligence . "

Answer
Hello Hiba,

There is some relationship between intelligence and child development. On average, brighter children develop language faster.

But it is not true in all instances. I can only point to my own son as an example. He did not start talking until he was four years old. But today, he is an adult, who went to college and is a smart, articulate, and very verbal man.

The moral is don't be too concerned about your son reaching all the milestones like other children. Each child develops at their own pace. It's best to enjoy your child the way he is, but continue to do all of the things that encourage cognitive development. Those things include reading to him everyday, talking to him constantly throughout the day, making sure he eats healthy and nutritious foods, and that he gets plenty of physical exercise.

Best,

James Windell

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

James Windell