Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers/Stubborn Baby 26 months

Question
Dear Expert ,
  I need an advise of how to deal with my baby , he is 26 months , he is currently in a nursery , but either at home or in the nursery he is so stubborn , he is not listening to the instructions , he just needs to do what  ever in his mind , he adores crying on every single thing he's facing he cries , he needs everything to be owned by him , in addition to "NO" for everything , I just need your advise , I know it may be usual for his age to proceed  in his independency stage , but I need the perfect way to deal with him , when he gets angry he through everything on the ground , I am currently using " Time Out" to punish him , but still no improvement .

Thank you in advance .

Answer
Hi Hiba

Time out at his age will probably not work because it is a discipline strategy that is not related directly to the behaviour you are trying to change.  Time out is good as he gets older maybe close to age 4 to age 6, and throws tantrums, he can be sent to his room to spend some time settling down. Then when he is calm he can come out and talk about his feelings.

I think you need to make a list of the behaviours you want to see him do differently and put them in order of importance for you.  So if you want him to listen to instructions then only focus on that behaviour for 7 days, before moving onto the next behaviour etc.  

If he cries or throws a tantrum it may be best for you to turn your back to him and tell him if he stops you will talk to him again.  You could also if he is in a safe spot in the room leave the room and see if he follows you and again tell him when he is quiet you will listen to him.  Try this for about four days and see if the time that he cries lessens.  He will not have all the words and understanding of his feelings so you need to give him the words when you do talk to him, tell him what you see, I see you are angry, upset, frustrated etc and then tell him to be calm.  It will take some time for him to learn self control but he will improve especially by age 4 when he has words to put in place of crying.

I try not to use the word stubborn and try to look at his independence as a strength eventually.  If he throws something on the ground, take it away and explain he can get it back when he is calm.  Everything is to try to teach him self control and self discipline.  

Also try to maybe have a reward system if you see him doing something good, then mention I see you playing nicely by yourself that makes me happy etc.

You may be able to find some more tips here at www.thechildrenscounsellor.com.au my website.  Please follow up if you need to.

Kind regards
Eleanor  

Parenting--Toddlers/Infants/Pre-Schoolers

Eleanor Formaggio