Parkinson`s Disease/Book Character... want to be exact!

Dear Margot,

I am ten years old and I am writing a book for a story contest. My character has parkinson's disease but she is twelve. In the book she has had it since she was a baby so she has never learned to walk. Would this make sense or would it be illogical? Thanks Margot!

- Jojo

Hey JoJo,

Well I don't believe anyone under 20 ever gets PD, so it's not too realistic to give a baby PD unless you introduce it as a condition that has never been seen before and is being studied by the best Neurologists in the world.

As for the symptom progression, it does make sense she would not be able to walk.  She may have tried to stand and take a few steps when she was 2 like most babies, but her shaking would have made her too unsteady to stay on her feet (unless she uses a walker).

Dementia is also common with people who have had PD for over 5 years, but that would probably complicate your story so you might want to mention she is fortunate to not suffer from any cognitive impairment with her rare form of juvenile PD.

I hope this helps and good luck with your novel,

Parkinson`s Disease

Margot RN BScN GNC

Please feel free to ask anything, but the more specific you are, the easier it is for me. Please share as many details as you are comfortable doing. I do check my Emails daily Monday through Friday so you should receive an answer within 24 hours on most business days. Thanks.

GERONTOLOGY (NURSING ISSUES RELATED TO THE ELDERLY) I have 25+ years experience working with the elderly. I would be pleased to offer any assistance I can. My areas of expertise include: Gerontology / Geriatrics, Long Term Care, Community Nursing, Palliative Care, Private Nursing Services, Intermediate / Extended Care. I also have a personal interest in Homeopathic and Eastern Medicine. If I can not answer your question I'll do my best to direct you to an appropriate resource. Thank you.
Experience in the area
20 years of Long Term Care and Community Nursing, specialising in Geriatrics, Gerontology and Palliative Care.

Registered Nurse , Certified Gerontological Nurse, Bachelor of Science in Nursing