Parrots/green cheek conure parrot

AK conures wrote at 2014-12-12 19:53:37
This is a very one sided answer.  If you spend a lot of time with birds they will incorporate you into the flock.  I have a very bonded pair who love to include me in almost all their activities.  I don't mess with them when they are nesting other then when they want to come out and interact.  I spend enough time with them to know when it is appropriate to offer a finger/shoulder for them to spend a little time.  They expect fresh foods and will let me feed them or place them at a feeding location.  If your parrot has to spend a lot of time alone this may not be possible and a mate would most likely take your place but not in all cases.  Whether domestic or wild, animals do not follow rules and there is not one answer for any animal, to any situation.

The Bird Nerds Rescue

Species specific questions especially pertaining to Eclectus and Cockatoos, Domestic avian behavioral issues, choosing a species as a companion bird, cage set ups, basic training, questions pertaining to plucking/feather picking and mutilation issues, health concerns, diet, care, cage size, avian nutrition, breeding questions, toy questions, all care and needs for all species.

I run a bird rescue and have ran it for 5 years, and I have dealt hands on with many of these behaviors. I also work at the local zoo where I work with the animal trainers. I have experience as a veterinary assistant where I have gained avian medical knowledge. I specialize in plucking, feather picking and mutilation behaviors. I also have experience in all aspects of keeping parrots as pets for the last 10 years.

Director of The Bird Nerds Rescue/Sanctuary. Many other rescues: PEAC (Parrot Education Adoption Center)- Cleveland OH, One Bird Lover To Another Sanctuary- Canton OH, M.C Bird and Exotic Rescue/Sanctuary- Monroe MI, Exotic Parrot Rescue- IN, Bairdsnest Rescue- Lapeer Mi, Ann Arbor Pet Services- Ann Arbor, Mi.

I have had publications in BirdTalk magazine.

Certified Vet Assistant, in school for Vet Tech. and Zoology.