Parrots/best food for grey parrot

Question
Hello sir/madam

i,ve read some recent answers by you and found those answers very helpful.

I also have a few questions if you could be kind enough to answer.

1- What should be the best food for grey parrots ? ( i have a pair )

2- Some tips that can help in getting breed.

I,m from Paksitan and haven't found pallet food here in Pakistan.

So suggest some good diet that can keep them healthy and fit other than pellet.

Pair is confirm and cage size is width 3 feet height 2 feet and 4 feet long.Perch is fixed.I have give some fruit and vegetables but they did not even tasted.
So also suggest some fruits and vegetables they would like.

Waiting for your reply

Many thanks

Answer
---Calcium Deficiency Disorder is rather common in African Greyís.   Itís not that they need more calcium than any other bird (though this is a popular myth), they seem to have more severe reactions to lower calcium levels than many other birds.
-----
You may see imbalance, falling, what appears to be fainting and even seizures.
-----
Itís not suggested that you use calcium supplements since over dosing on calcium is also a possibility that will produce dangerous results.
-----
The first thing you should do is have a vet check your birdís BCL (blood calcium level).
-----

With avians, blood calcium levels are deceptive. They will often fall within the normal range (8.0 - 13.0 mg/dl), so an ionized calcium level needs to be done.

-----

If itís low, the vet may offer options.  Your own options are to feed a pellet diet for the most part of the birdís nutritional needs.  Supplement fresh foods with higher calcium foods like almonds, natural cheese, natural yogurt and even offering a (cooked) chicken leg with a bit of the meat left on it (no skin, no spices).    Thereís something a bit curious about watching a parrot snap a chicken bone and expertly dig out the marrow with their tongue.  

-----

You can also give an original formulation Tums, although Iíve never had to do this.  Ĺ tab a day or every other day.  Some birds eat these like itís a treat.  The fruit flavored types are fine as well, but be sure itís nothing more than an antacid (calcium) product.  You donít want aspirin or other drugs added.

-----

In order to properly process calcium in their system, birds need adequate D vitamins too.  Ideally this is from natural sunlight, but these days with more energy efficient windows, much of the UVA and UVB rays are blocked.   

-----

A full spectrum light bulb in the area of your bird for at least two hours a day is a good idea.   Not all full spectrum light-bulbs are necessarily the same.  Itís best to buy one made specifically for birds and keep in mind that though the light might come on, after many months the efficiency may be down.   

-----

I replace them once a year.   If you consider it a lightbulb, itís expensive; but, if you remind yourself itís a piece of the sun and a health product for your bird - itís a bargain.

-----

You can see more about Calcium, D, and more here http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww22eii.htm  

**********************************************

Have your vet perform a blood serum test for zinc levels (just in case your vet isnít an avian vet, zinc levels over 2 ppm are positive for zinc toxicity).   There will also likely be elevated WBCís (white blood count).

Zinc can be ingested slowly over time when toys, clasps, chains, links or even cages are chewed on or played with.  Other poisonings occur when the bird actually swallows a toy, link or piece of one.  Watch out for bell clappers for instance.

Metal toxicity (lead, zinc being most commonly found). Quick links, cage bars, even professionally supplied toys, depending on where they're manufactured, may contain lead and/or zinc. It's frightening to learn how many sources of zinc there are in any household. If anything in your bird's environment is magnetic, it may be a toxic metal.

-----
 Go here to find out where to order the pelleted foods and what you can feed on your own in the meantime

www.4AnimalCare.org/birds

Good luck and blessings  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott