Parrots/Cockatiel eye problem

Hi there, my 8 week old cockatiel appears to have swelling at the front of one of his eyes, it's red in colour. Is this a sign of conjunctivitis? Would it be ok to leave it for a week or so before going to the vet? It doesn't seem to be irritating him at all.

--Beautiful bird!!!  
It's impossible to make a diagnosis with a photo, but from what I DON'T see (no growths or lesions) I suspect you're dealing with a respiratory or sinus infection.   Yes, because birds have such compact, efficient bodies, infections can be deceiving.  Eye problems can actually be respiratory.  And in new 'tiels like this, it's quite common.  
Boric acid solution may be tried in order to control secondary infections: 1 tablespoon boric acid + 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil and then let cool.
Simple saline solution, what you’d use to rinse contact lenses in, is also an option; however, plain, clean (bottled) water without additives in it is safe and easy.
This will NOT 'cure' the bird.  You need to establish a vet anyway right?  All birds need at least once or twice a year routine exams with their vet, so now is a good time to do that.

The bird will either get a one time injection of meds or a course of meds for you to administer.

Never, ever stop them early, no matter how hard it is to give them otherwise it will come back MUCH worse and way more expensive to treat.

See more here

Keep up your good work!

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister