Parrots/AFRICAN GREY

Question
GOOD DAY, MY AFRICAN GREY 8YRS IS THROWING UP HIS WATER. THE WATER IS CLEAR BUT LOOKS SLIMY. HE IS EATING BUT IS QIUTE AND LOOKS TIRED. HIS PHEASES ALSO STILL LOOKS OK.

Answer
-- I'm sorry for the delay on this, the question just reached me.  Hopefully, by now you've sought professional attention for your bird.  I'm always curious when an owner says something to the effect of "...it looks fine" or " Shall I wait and watch?".   I want to ask them what they think their bird "should" look like before they accept that it's sick.  Or "WHAT are you waiting and watching for?".  

By the time an owner sees an unmistakable symptom, usually being that the bird is at the bottom of the cage and barely moving, chances are pretty high that it's too late for anything life saving.

One man I know very recently learned this the hard way.  His 12 yr old macaw was sick for a month, but he kept 'waiting and watching'.  The bird seemed better some days; then was sick again and then better again.  Finally, one day the bird was barely moving.  When the man picked him up the bird was cold to the touch.  1 hour later the bird that this fellow hand fed and raised from a hatchling, died in his arms.

The real tragedy?  IF the man took the bird to the vet the first time he noticed the bird was 'sick', a prescription medication would have CURED the bird in about 10 days.  That bird should have lived another 50 years at least.  

This is what happens when you wait for the bird to 'look sick'

Please don't.  And remember this above all when you feel that the vet trip will stress the bird to death:  Perhaps 1 in 1,000 birds will die from the stress of a vet visit, USUALLY because they have a weakened cardiac system as the result of the problem they're sick from to begin with.
  But 1,000 in 1,000 birds will die when veterinary care they need to live, is not sought.

-------------

www.4animalcare.org  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott