Parrots/African Grey Parrot

Question
I bought an african grey parrot who is 19 weeks old yesterday the problem is he has been asleep for 10 hours in the day do i need to visit the vets?

Answer
-- Yes, but not for what you think.  These long lived birds MUST have a vet established early and then at least twice a year check ups for life.  You have to consider them your child and regular doctor's visits to be sure all is well is part of being their parent.

A young bird like this in a new situation will sleep from stress.   Gently encourage him to participate in daily games, handling and so on.   They tend to sleep about an hour or even two from about 2 pm ... at night they should sleep in total silence and mostly dark (i leave a dim nightlight to mimic moonlight) for no less than 10 hours and preferably 12.

Also, you must, must, must verify sex.

Go here and learn more  www.4animalcare.org/birds  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott