Parrots/African Grey Parrot

I bought an african grey parrot who is 19 weeks old yesterday the problem is he has been asleep for 10 hours in the day do i need to visit the vets?

-- Yes, but not for what you think.  These long lived birds MUST have a vet established early and then at least twice a year check ups for life.  You have to consider them your child and regular doctor's visits to be sure all is well is part of being their parent.

A young bird like this in a new situation will sleep from stress.   Gently encourage him to participate in daily games, handling and so on.   They tend to sleep about an hour or even two from about 2 pm ... at night they should sleep in total silence and mostly dark (i leave a dim nightlight to mimic moonlight) for no less than 10 hours and preferably 12.

Also, you must, must, must verify sex.

Go here and learn more  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister