Parrots/african grey parrot

I have had my African Grey for 21 years. Never had any problem with him. Tonight all of a sudden he started squawking and was jumping around on the bottom of his cage. He was squawking like crazy then all of a sudden he stopped and whistled. He had a little blood coming out of his one nose hole. He seems to be his old self now. I don't think he could have gooen his nose caught on anything. Can you suggest anything that might have happened?

-- This sounds like a respiratory issue, even though you're not seeing what you'd expect (birds aren't mammals).  

Since you have a bird expected to live into its 70's, just like a human lifespan, you surely must have a doc in place and have regular yearly check ups, right?  Or better yet, twice a year.   

Birds are like having a 'toddler' for life.  Routine exams are vital.  Not just seeing a doc when something's wrong (which is where the HUGE prices for vet visits come to play).  Routine visits are in the area of $40 where I am.   Less than .25 cents a day.  And if an emergency arises, you have a doc who knows you and your bird and the cost for that emergency is rarely any higher than a routine visit, just because you've established yourself as a regular.

A bird may show their weakness, illness and lack of energy one moment, even for a few hours or days - and then “suddenly” seem to be fine.  This is their getting a second wind.  Finding the strength to ‘mask’ the illness or problem.   And since this masking can continue for a while, the underlying issue is only getting worse.  The next time you see the bird acting ‘off’, it might be really, really bad.
If your bird is acting ‘off’, no matter what – no matter when, they need to be seen by their vet.  Infections and disease are far more successfully and inexpensively treated when tackled early.  Unlike mammals, avians don’t end up well with a “watch and wait” protocol.
 Though specialized avian vets are ideal, any vet who sees a majority of birds or at least 1/3 of their practice consisting of birds is a good choice.
 If you have a Pet Smart, you have Banfield Clinic inside, open 7 days a week and they see birds.
If you have a Pet Co, they have a list of vet names that they use for themselves and are happy to give you, ask for 'bird vets'.
Ask any vet in town who they'd recommend for bird care.   Ask any good breeder in town who they use (if they don't use anyone, they are not a good breeder, stay away from them).
Find an avian vet near you
---  ---

See the girls here  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister