Parrots/My Blue Quaker and Jenday Conure

Question
Hello!  I'm Alexandra and I'm 13 years old. About 2 years ago, my family and I bought our first parrot (a Jenday Conure named Coconut) mainly on impulse. She has turned out to be a great pet, very well raised, bred, and handled. She's very friendly, and loves new people. Two months ago, we bought 2 more parrots, a Blue Quaker and a Yellow Ringneck, both under a year old. The quaker's name is Blueberry, and the Ringneck's name is Pineapple. Coconut suprisingly likes Blueberry, but Blueberry (after living with other birds all his life) hates Coconut. Whenever Coconut is near Blueberry, just hanging out, Coconut sits really low, while lifting up her rear simultaneously. Blueberry would just bite her, and run off. When Coconut does this, does she, you know, want to mate? Now, don't forget, she's about two years old. Is she sexually mature? Is Blueberry? If they successfully mate, will the egg be fertilized? Can they have offspring? And if not, why? Is it a bad thing? Should we get Coconut a mate? Will she be depressed and unfulfilled without a mate? Please reply soon! Thanks for your time.

Answer
- I must say, you're doing all the right things by asking these questions and I'm happy to hear this.  Of all the things we do on impulse in life, bringing another life into the world shouldn't be one of them, whether with humans or animals.  It must be carefully thought out, expenses planned on and remember most of all, that once you adopt it or begin it, you are responsible for that life above ALL else for the rest of its life.
---
 The good news is that all your parrots are different species and though they may want to be partners (after all, a bird knows another bird is a bird, right?) they cannot produce fertile eggs.

BUT if you allow these birds to interact and get really friendly and make physical contact with each other, they will LESS likely be bonded to you.  That leaves you out in the cold, just watching them and perhaps even being bitten in order to keep you from interfering in their lives.
---
You also don't want their actions to produce eggs.  Even if they can't hatch it doesn't mean that they won't go through the motions and cause eggs to be laid.  This is bad because it strains nutritional health and can lead to egg binding plus a lot of other serious health issues.

---
 Bottom line?  To a single bird, YOU are their mate and they'll be very happy with you as long as you pay attention to them every single day and touch them, love them and talk to them.

Take a look here to learn more and see the girls.  You'll love their videos!

www.4AnimalCare.org/birds  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott