Parrots/Lovebird baby stretch feet backward

Question
  I'm Yaasir from Mauritius. Since 2 weeks ago I got some lovebird chicks they are very beautiful. But then yesterday I found a baby out of nest. The parents are not taking care of it nor gave him food. So I remove the chick for handfeeding and to my surprise I found that the bird is having a feet problem. He can't stand on his feet. Both feet are stretch backward. The feet don't have any force and he can't move it either. But I noticed it has very little force approximately 2 %.

The chick can move with the help of  his wings but its very hard for a chick of 2-3 weeks.

Please I would like to have a better response concerning this case and give me some solutions for this. Also please tell me some reasons why such cases happen.

I'm really sad and worried for the cute baby.

Hope to get your reply soon.
Thanks
Yaasir

Answer
- You're describing "splay leg" which happens in nests where the parents sit too tightly on their babies, or there's not enough 'grip' on the bottom for the babies to keep their legs under themselves.

--
Splayed legs tend to happen early in the nest when the chick canít find enough traction to hold their legs underneath them.  The nesting material is often the cause, and to best provide for the little ones, plain paper towels with a bit of corncob bedding over the top may be good.
---

The paper towel allows the traction, the corncob helps hold body heat and directs the droppings away from the birdís body.  Even with these precautions though, change their nesting material daily.  Good hygiene provides for overall good health and helps prevent many diseases seen in youngsters.
---

Depending on the extent of the splay, some experienced owners will attempt to hobble the chicks themselves.    The links provided will show you how, but let me stress that if youíre not experienced, I wouldnít suggest this baby be your experiment.  Birds need their legs and feet to perch and live normally for their lifetime.  Splay leg caught early can often be successfully resolved and itís well worth it.   
---

Inexperienced hobbles can exhaust a baby trying to fight them and there is little more heartbreaking than losing a tiny baby you care a great deal about.
---  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott