Parrots/neck and crop

my parrot has been stretching her neck lately and her crop moves from side to side it doesnt look right to me. what can i do? is there something i can buy at the petstore? thanks

--There is one thing 'for sure':  ALL of those pet meds and cures at pet stores are frauds.  Completely dangerous, often making things worse and frequently killing birds.  Never, ever use them.  Most especially those 'mite' treatments.  The most lethal product on the market.

How can killer products be sold like this?  Because there are NO 'truth in advertising' laws for pets like for humans and most people have no idea of this.   The most any pet product maker will ever be on the hook for?  The 'replacement price' of the dead pet -- and only after the owner spends thousands of dollars hiring a lawyer to get that far.   So obviously most people don't bother and the products continue to be pushed.

So what's going with your bird?  Chances are you're seeing symptoms of an infection in the crop and yes, it can become very serious.   I hope you take weights on your bird so you can tell if she's losing weight and how bad it's getting?  

Remember, if you just trust your eye, by the time you SEE weight loss it's usually progressed to the point of 'near fatal'

Also, remember to use a gram scale.  If you use ounces, again, by the time you see the scale change it'll be very far along and severe.

Go here to see how birdy gals step on their scales and like all ladies, check out their numbers  (scroll about half way down the page)

You need a vet to take a crop sample and determine which type of infection it is in order to know which med will work.

You can't use an antibiotic on a fungal infection (makes it worse!) and you can't use an anti fungal for a bacterial (waste of money)

The myth of vet exams for birds being outrageous is usually when an owner needs to rush to a vet they've never seen before during an emergency situation.  Then, yes, the cost is very high.   Which is why it's important to have a vet established and ready to see your bird during emergencies, often for a regular office visit price or just slightly more.
In my area a regular bird visit is about $40..  Thatís less than .11 cents a day; or .22 cents a day for twice a year.  Even if you end up paying $60 per visit, thatís about .16 pennies a day for once a year;  just .32 cents a day for twice a year.    You pay 2, 3 or even 4xís as much for a daily newspaper and itís not nearly as full of love, devotion and beauty as your bird.
 Though specialized avian vets are ideal, any vet who sees a majority of birds or at least 1/3 of their practice consisting of birds is a good choice.
 If you have a Pet Smart, you have Banfield Clinic inside, open 7 days a week and they see birds.
If you have a Pet Co, they have a list of vet names that they use for themselves and are happy to give you, ask for 'bird vets'.
Ask any vet in town who they'd recommend for bird care.   Ask any good breeder in town who they use (if they don't use anyone, they are not a good breeder, stay away from them).

Find an avian vet near you  

These days, with birds growing fast in popularity as in home companions, many DVMís are quite experienced and able to see and treat many birds.  If you have a pet store that sells birds or know of any bird breeders Ė ask them who they use for their bird care.
While Board Certified Avian Vets are the ideal choice in most cases,  itís not necessary.  Iíve met BCAVís that I personally feel shouldnít be allowed in the same room as a bird, and I know Ďregularí vets that specialize in avian care to the point of being published with the American Veterinary Medical Association repeatedly and highly sought after for information, input and personal research.  
If you have a Pet Smart in town you may have a vet for your bird.  Most Pet Smartís now  have a veterinary clinic inside and many of them will see birds (open 7 days a week too).

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister