Parrots/I have Re-homed a rozella

Question
Hi
I recently took on a Rosella as the lady couldn't cope any more with him and didn't have the time. We have always had birds in the family, after one day he has been chirping away and singing, we have been playing him Rosella sounds of the internet just to perk him up.
Just wondering if you could tell me when you are able to know if he feels trust  in you.
Currently from a distance he will come close to the cage and whistle back if you sing to him, soon as your within touching distance starts to withdraw. We have no idea of age.
Any help would be appreciated.

Answer
-- A popular nickname for Rosellas are 'velcro birds'.  Believe it or not he's actually looking for any reason whatsoever for him to trust you.  He's craving being included and most importantly, being touched!   Rather than playing him sounds of birds he'll never see or meet, just talk to him.  Sing to him.  Teach him YOUR language and try mimicking his

--
You don't want to keep your distance - regularly approach him and get right up next to that cage.  Don't rush, don't be loud, just slowly approach him, talking nice all the way so he knows what's going on (trust him, he's VERY smart).  Tell him what you're doing:  "Hi Rosey (whatever his name is), I'm Johnny/Mary/Rumplestilskin and I'm coming over to let you know how great I am" -- add some enthusiastic self-praise ("I'm the BEST human you'll ever meet and I'll prove it every day of your life!")

--- When a bird comes into my rescue/rehab, it never takes more than one week, ten days at the most, for me to have the bird in hand.  Why?  Because birds are flock animals and they NEED a flock.  We'll do.  There is nothing sadder than a bird alone.  And no, that doesn't mean get another bird -- that means becoming his 'flock'.  He doesn't care if you have feathers or not, he only cares that you've got his back.  He only cares that you're there for him to protect him, to drive him to the doctor EVERY single time he needs it and preferably even when he doesn't.   A huge number of bird owners are now having twice a year routine check ups done and getting wings trimmed (not clipped) and nails clipped (ok, 'trimmed') at the same time.  

All bird owners need to establish a vet within a week to 10 days of getting the bird.  Believe me, you don't want to be scrambling for a vet during an emergency.  You want to have the vet already knowing who you and your bird are.   It's also cheaper that way.  Emergency visits for a bird the vet doesn't know is going to be very expensive (that's where the net nonsense about vet costs for birds come from)

---

Here's a good place to find EVERYTHING you can imagine needing to know about how to care for your bird, AND how to get him trusting you faster

www.4AnimalCare.org/birds

Look under the 'biting' 'screaming' section for the tips on how to be handling him

Congratulations on your new family member.  I believe you'll do fine!  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott