Parrots/Sun Conure just started biting

Cinder is a 4 year sun conure. I've had her since 4 months.  She has just decided she hates when I touch a wine glass or wash dishes.  Which are two things I do a lot since I paint wine glasses. So after 4 years she has started biting when I ever I touch a glass or wash a dish.  How do I stop her?  Please help I love having her with me but I can't if she is going to take a chunk out of my hand, arm what ever she can reach every time I pick up a glass.  Thank you!!

--It appears she has been 'taught' that when she acts this way while you're doing a particular thing will get HER the attention she craves.  Remember, birds don't know that our yelling and turning red in the face isn't a good thing.  Loud is better to a bird.  Great fun!

What they DON'T like is being ignored or 'shunned'.  That's what you have to do.  When she acts badly, quietly put her someplace where she can't see you or hear you (I use the words "time out" when I do this so they associate those words with something they don't like)

Never leave her unattended for more than 5 minutes or it's just cruel and the lesson gets lost in the cruelty of the action.

Set a timer since it's easy to lose track of time

Go here and look under "biting and screaming"

You'll see how to address this quickly and efficiently

Good luck!

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister