Parrots/True or False

Is it true that an african parrot or          Is is true that parrots die in less than 24 hours if abandoned (locked in cages) but left with water and food in their cage?

False.  They do not die of loneliness or abandonment in just 24 hours as long as they have food and water (most importantly WATER)

However, a bird of this incredible intelligence being left alone for 24 hours is like locking a 5 year old child in a closet for 24 hours.  It's just plain irresponsible.  If an owner is going to do that, chances are the owner didn't feed the bird right (probably had the bird eating a base diet of seeds) - and who knows what else.  THIS could and often does end up killing birds and it can look like it happened "all of a sudden" despite it having been something going on for a long, long time  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister