Parrots/egg-laying African Gray

Question
My African Gray parrot is ten years old and laid an egg yesterday for the first time.  Up until then, I thought it was a male.  What might have caused this and can I prevent her from laying more as I do not want to risk egg binding.

Answer
-- I don't blame you and with Grey's it's a bit more of a threat since they are known to respond more acutely to low calcium levels than most other birds.  It's not that they don't process calcium well, it's just that when it's low in a Grey the results are often more dramatic.  

Excessive egg laying can deplete calcium, so what we really want to do while she's got motherhood on her mind, is increase her calcium rich foods.  

A good pellet diet provides a healthy base and encouraging her to eat some cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, Brussel sprouts, dark greens like kale and turnip greens - carrots and carrot tops; sweet potatoes for good measure, even some ricotta or cottage cheese; bits of string cheese (try to stick to all natural and organic whenever possible) very helpful.

--------

When it comes to dissuading her from adding to her clutch, it's usually best to leave the egg with her and go ahead and let her nest.   That is, as long as the egg isn't cracked or broken.  

You can see more about how to handle egg laying here
     www.4AnimalCare.org/birds

You can also look over feeding options and homemade recipes too  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott