Parrots/Grey Parrot

I have some how imported Harrison's Pellet food.But none of my birds seem to be interested in it.They don't even seem to be looking at it.What should i do now ?

Waiting for your reply

Many thanks

ANSWER: --  There is a guideline about how to convert your bird from junk food to healthy food like those pellets right here

Good job in getting the healthier food!

QUESTION: Well thanks very much for your previous reply

My pair of grey parrot ( not having DNA but i'm sure that this is a pair )seems to be very strange at times.
They have been together for last 5 months or so.Full privacy provided.No body goes near the cage.Cage is 10 feet above the floor and is 3 by 3.5 by 3.5.Box is fixed.I have fixed a camera inside the cage to keep an eye on their moves.
I have never seen but once male feeding female.Always female feeds the male.They are more ative at night around 11 pm.Female feeds the male for 5 to 7 mints and than male gooes into the box and remains in whole night.Very occasionally i saw female entering the box.I have not seen them mating so far.While feeding the male , female seems to be in full heat and seems to be ready for mating but it doesn't happen or at least i have not witnessed.

What should i do ?

Any advice under your experience ?

Waiting for your reply

Many thanks

--  You can't force them.  If these birds don't 'bond', they won't mate.  If someone threw you together with a lady you didn't know and might not even like, will you marry her and raise a family?  

These birds need to 'meet' in the open and establish their bond;  then, when THEY are ready, they'll enter their nest box and do what they need to do.

Birds aren't like a dog or cat or other mammal that goes into 'heat' and are overwhelmed by the desire to mate.  They earn the privilege of mating.

And of all the birds in all the world, this particular bird is considered the most acutely intelligent and sentient.

That means that they are aware of their own lives and self.  Ranked on the list just below humans and apes, together with dolphins and elephants.  Sentient.   

When a dog or cat sleeps and dreams, they dream about something they've done.  They replay a pattern and thus the 'running' in their sleep sometimes.  

When a sentient self aware animal dreams, they can dream about what they haven't done yet, but want to do.  

Respect them.  Give them time.  Hopefully you aren't hoping to breed for profit.  If you are, I'm afraid you'll be painfully disappointed.   The price you might get for 1 to 3 chicks a year won't come close to covering the costs involved in feeding these birds correctly and maintaining their health with regular vet visits.  

I've been working with birds for more than 3 decades and around them for more than half a century.   There is one constant:  GOOD breeders rarely make any money at it.  They do it for the love of the bird and seeing babies go to good homes.  At least they hope.  I'm afraid I can't condone breeding, but that won't stop it so all I can do is encourage healthy and responsible breeding.

Please be a good breeder  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister