Parrots/Jenday Conure behaviour

Hi, We adopted Guz our Jenday Conure about 8 months ago. As far as I am aware we are about his 4th home and he was only 18 months old when we got him. He is a feisty devil, had a tendancy to bite randomly at first and tends to have favorites depending on who is spending the most time with him regularly. Our last bird was also very fickle so we are working with his behaviour and he is coming along nicely. Over the last week though he has begun destroying anything he can get his beak on, particularly picture frames. He is out of his cage the majority of the day with plenty of toys and we have made him a 'bird tree' so he can go up high and nibble away but he is still being far more destructive than usual. Is this something that he will grow out of? I wasn't sure if maybe it wasn't something to do with him reaching puberty as I'm not sure at what age that happens. Any advise would be gratefully received. Thanks,

--  I'm afraid he won't grow out of billions and billions of years of hard wired biology.  He's a psittacine; a parrot.  This is what they do.  Fish swim, monkeys swing, giraffes are tall, elephants are big and parrots chew.

Do you know how researchers and bird watchers find macaws in the rain forests?  They don't walk through the jungles looking UP, they roam the jungles looking DOWN.  When they see half eaten, discarded fruits and nuts amid a pile of shredded wood and leaves --- they are usually right to suspect a macaw is roosting over head.

Your bird shouldn't be free without supervision or at least without knowing that he's happy to perch in one spot during the day with plenty of things to shred and chew that are safe for him and not going to ruin your home.  

Chewing and shredding keeps a bird's mind occupied, exercises their powerful jaw muscles and makes for a healthy beak.   Birds kept from chewing and shredding tend to develop some very bad habits like biting and screaming; sometimes even pulling their feathers out in order to satisfy that primal need for chewing

Take a look here to see more  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister