Parrots/Ringneck parrot

I have a female ringneck, I've had her for three years.the first year I interacted with her constantly, but then I got busy so I got her a companion but his a different breed.she didn't accept him but now they are content, but they both want to mate just not with eachother.they are alone 12 hour a day except on weekends, I want to make sure that they are happy, should I get each one a mate of their own kind?

-- Please don't add more birds to a situation where you aren't giving 12 hours a day of attention.

It doesn't matter if it's species and species; what you have right now is adequate.  I commend you for housing them separately and just letting them enjoy the space and company of each other at a safe distance.  

It's also ok to admit that now might not be the best time to own a bird.  Find them a good home with someone who has a lot more time for them.   Perhaps owning a bird is in your future rather than your present

Here's a guideline for bird care.  If you can't do ALL of this, at least consider adopting them out ok?  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister