Parrots/separating my blue fronted Amazons

Question
Recently adopted these from a bad environment.  All info received wads very spotty. Original owner lost her house and left birds with the guy I got them from. He said the female cwas at least 30, and the male was at least 7 as that was how long original owner had them.  He would open their cage and the male would come out onto the cage, female cage bound for at least the two years he had them.  They lived together in undersized cage.  We were told the birds did not even have names.
 As the male is very protective of her, we wish to separate them. She doesn't show any signs of caring for him. Supposedly they never bred, likely she is to old?  Looking for good advice, preferably a good step by step direction for separation process.
 Also looking for special care info, as she is blind in one eye, and he is missing most of his nails and has trouble moving, constantly falling on his head.

Answer
--  You're right that this is a heartbreaking situation and as of right now you're actually a 'rescuer'.  With that comes some responsibilities that you owe these birds and I'll walk you through it the way I run my exotic bird rescue and rehab here in northern CA

Within 7 to 10 days of receiving a bird, a vet is established and baseline info is on record.  I also get DNA sexing done in every monomorphic bird that comes in unless it's known without doubt that they've laid an egg any time.

I also have a swab done and fecal exam to rule out the more commonly found communicable infections or disease.  

Early veterinary baseline is essential since we are not equipped with Xray, MRI, labs and operating equipment in our homes -- and birds can have emergencies anytime.

If you have a vet in place you'll avoid the huge costs that are associated with a vet not only seeing a bird during an emergency, but as a first time patient.   That's where all the myths about bird vets being really, really expensive come from.

Where I am, a regular visit is just $40.   How reasonable is that?

---------

As for your other issues check this www.4AnimalCare.org/birds

It addresses everything you can imagine; after all, the only birds here are rescues and all of them came from some pretty bad situations

I'll be happy to work with you on this and hopefully getting these birds well loved and well treated for the rest of their lives  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott