Parrots/sick african grey

Question
My African Grey seemed quiet and still for two days and I noticed yellow in his droppings. Off to the Avian vet we went for blood work and X-rays. The X-rays showed a very large liver pressing on other organs and he was put on orbifloxacin while we wait for blood work. The visit cost 500.00. We waited for call and the call we got was more tests needed 330.00 this time and no answer on why the liver was large. The new test is for clamydia which I thought was more repertory and my bird has no symptoms for this at all. I worry I am being had while my pet gets sicker.
So the question is do we continue or seek another vet.

Answer
--  I know it's costly, but if this bird can go another 50 years, divide that cost over that time and it's just pennies a day, right?

If it were your child, would you ask this question?

This is a sentient (self aware) animal with the intelligence and emotional development of a human toddler.   Sentient.  Like humans; apes, elephants and dolphins.   

He knows he's sick and he's counting on his family to save him.

With this said, I understand your concerns about the vet taking advantage, but no, chlamydia is not just respiratory and yes, it can cause liver disease.

So can a predominantly seed diet (you haven't mentioned any history) and sometimes years of exposure to teflon and other products - even though they are not over heated.

That surprises a lot of bird owners.   

Also, candles, air fresheners, hair driers, clothes driers, portable heaters, toasters, toaster ovens, curling irons and oh so much more can spew toxic fumes into the air and effect a bird's more sensitive systems.    Yes, inhaling bad things can cause liver disease in avians.

So can chewing on heavy metals.  Hold a magnet (like a fridge magnet) up to the cage, the toys, clasps and so on .... if there's even a slight pull, it's a heavy metal.

-------------

Basically, thousands of things could have caused it.   The good news is that if it's caught early treatment could be successful.

AND discuss adding milk thistle (available in most stores vitamin aisles) to the diet.  Birds have a remarkably positive reaction to this treatment for liver disease, but it's important to use it WITH whatever the vet recommends

You know, you can also ask your vet for the name of another vet for a 2nd opinion

Doctors who are confident in their expertise and secure in their ethics will never mind having a differential with another vet.

If your vet hesitates, THEN worry.  And leave.

-------------

Look into veterinary schools anywhere near you.  They see birds!  

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott