Parrots/conure

Question
Hello I recently rescued a little dusky conure from a bad situation and had a few questions I thought you might be able to help me with. When I recieved him he was only being fed sunflower seeds, he had no idea what a perch was for, and had never even seen a toy! They also gave me the cage he was being kept in, it was small rusty and chipping paint! Needless to say I was angry but took him to get him out of the situation! I have since bought him a new cage, playstand,and toys! He is very active and friendly! He is still a bit skinny but I have got him on Roudybush maintanence diet! My question is how can I get him to eat fresh foods? He will not touch it and i have tried all I can think of! Also since he is not on the best diet should I put him on some sort of vitamins/mineral supplement? If so what kind do you recommend? I also have just ordered a UVB bulb and lamp for him! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! O and he wont touch a mineral block either and their are no avian vets in my area! Thank You!

Answer
-- First, thank you for rescuing this lucky little guy!  Now let's dispel that myth about 'no avian vets'.  In my 10 mile radius alone there are 4.  Do you know how many are listed that way when looking in a phone directory?  -0-

So it's a treasure hunt.  You have to find them.  If you're looking for a 'board certified avian vet', yes, they are a rarity.  That doesn't mean a 'regular' vet can't be a good avian vet.
-----  

The myth of vet exams for birds being outrageous is usually when an owner needs to rush to a vet they've never seen before during an emergency situation.  Then, yes, the cost is very high.   Which is why it's important to have a vet established and ready to see your bird during emergencies, often for a regular office visit price or just slightly more.
---
In my area a regular bird visit is about $40..  Thatís less than .11 cents a day; or .22 cents a day for twice a year.  Even if you end up paying $60 per visit, thatís about .16 pennies a day for once a year;  just .32 cents a day for twice a year.    You pay 2, 3 or even 4xís as much for a daily newspaper and itís not nearly as full of love, devotion and beauty as your bird.
---
 Though specialized avian vets are ideal, any vet who sees a majority of birds or at least 1/3 of their practice consisting of birds is a good choice.
---
 If you have a Pet Smart, you have Banfield Clinic inside, open 7 days a week and they see birds.
---
If you have a Pet Co, they have a list of vet names that they use for themselves and are happy to give you, ask for 'bird vets'.
---
Ask any vet in town who they'd recommend for bird care.   Ask any good breeder in town who they use (if they don't use anyone, they are not a good breeder, stay away from them).
---  

Now, when it comes to getting him on a better diet?  I've got it all outlined right here:

www.4animalcare.org/birds

----------

Good luck and again, thank you!

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott