Is salt bad for a parrot

-- It depends on how much salt.  All animals need a degree of salt in the body.  Birds should be getting it from their food though; not from HUMAN food like take out, sweet drinks, chips and the like.

If a bird ingests too much salt it can lead to too many health issues to list here.   Always have a vet ready to see you bird.  You can do this by making a 'well bird visit' long before any emergency arises.  These visits are only about $40 where I am.   Not expensive at all.  BUT if you wait to see a vet for the very time during an emergency, that price can go way over $100 and that's where the myth that bird vets are expensive comes from.  

See more about feeding your bird  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister