Parrots/Love bird became very aggressive

my 6 year old daughter is the main caregiver for our lovebird who is about 1 1/2 yrs old.  They have always been a fun pair playing together all the time.  Just recently she has became very aggressive and protective of her cage and has started biting..which of course is discouraging our daughter from handling her.  She does have a hammock that has been in her cage for many months and when we talk with her while in her cage she begins to act aggressive towards the hammock.  Ive done some reading online and think she may be in the process of laying an egg.  

Do you have any recommendation of what we can do to help her calm back down...should we remove her hammock?

Thank you for your time!

-- I think you mean she might be 'broody' rather than going to lay an egg.  Broody means a hen (any female bird, not just chickens) is nesting and preparing to follow through on any opportunity that may come along in the way of a mate.  

"Going to lay an egg" means a specific period of about 24 hours that an egg rotates inside the bird (like a baby turns inside of a human just prior to labor) and then passes.

In any event, you're right in thinking the 'hut' might be a bad idea.  It gives her something to guard and be possessive over.   Yes, you can remove it.  I've found that knotting a soft, clean sock or strips of an old (clean) tee shirt through the cage bars at the area of the perch a bird prefers for nighttime (sleep) gives the bird that snuggle factor they crave without it becoming a 'nest' to guard.  

Just be sure to regularly check for and snip any ragged edges and replace the material when soiled.  Birds often chew on this fabric to soothe themselves to sleep.  Sort of like a baby with a binky or adult with a favorite pillow

I'm also with you on knowing you have to stave off a bad behavior before it becomes a habit.  It's easy for some birds to become cage bound and believe me, preventing it is far easier than curing it

Here is a guideline that takes you step by step on how to resolve these issues and lots more that you haven't come across yet.

I think you'll find it all eye opening -- and of course there are plenty of pics and a video too

You'll be fine (but let me know if you're not)  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister