Parrots/Dusky Conure

Hi we are currently having to move to a house that has no central heat and air. We live in GA so it dosent usually getto awful cold. My question is should I put a heat lamp up for my dusky conure or a heat pad? Or do you think he will be ok without it? I dont want him to get sick from the change. We only have heaters in the bedrooms and they are small and I woul;dnt have enough room for him in there. Any advice would be great! Thank You!

-- GREAT question!  Conures and quite frankly most other psittacines (parrots) adjust remarkably well to temp changes.   A little heater in his room to keep the temp at or around 72 to begin with and dropping about a degree a day after the first 2 or 3 days - would be reasonable.

Be sure the heater is NOT near the cage;  be sure there is adequate ventilation and importantly, put a smoke alarm AND carbon dioxide /carbon monoxide detector in the room.  That is very important.  

I prefer electric heaters with no teflon or non stick parts (call manufacturer) or sealed oil heaters (you do not have to add oil ever) -  No kerosene, oil or gas heaters where you do have to add fuel.  

Check on him regularly - be prepared to seek emergency and immediate care if you see him at bottom of cage, wobbly in balance, sleeping a lot

There's much more here

Good luck!  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister