Parrots/macaws bonding becoming aggressive

Hello, I have 2 macaws. One is a 17 yr old blue and gold macaw and the other is a 12 yr old military macaw. Both I assume are males since neither one has laid eggs. The problem is when they became friends about a 1 yr ago everything was fine. Now a yr later my b&g macaw is starting to become aggressive towards me. Acting out, screaming everytime I go near the military, lunging at me in or out of the cage. I can't separate them because I have small house plus I have other parrots that take up one room. I have tried letting one out then later on let the other out but that doesn't help. Once my b & g goes onto the military's cage his attitude changes and I can't pick him up. I have had both since they were 1yr (b&g)macaw and 2yrs of age for the military. I love both of them and I am at my witts end about this. I don't mind they like each other but why does my b & g macaw become aggressive towards me? The next thing is to contact my vet about this. I have no one to talk too because no one I know has or had parrots so they have no idea about them.

-- Did you know that the majority of good owners these days bring their birds to vets for a regular check up about 2x's a year?  It's also very necessary to know the sex.  DNA sexing isn't costly (less than $50 and results in about a week).  Why is it so important?  Because certain symptoms look exactly alike in males and females, BUT without quick intervention can cause death in females, whereas with males you might be able to wait a day or two and watch.

Asking other bird owners about birds is like asking other parents about illness, disease, severe health complications, broken bones or tumors in children.   Unless they're actually university graduates with degrees in medicine, you have no idea what sort of information you'll get.   This even applies to 90 year old great-great-grandparents of like 100 children.  Experience is wonderful, but who would you choose to do brain surgery on a beloved family member?  A brain surgeon or a plumber with lots of kids?  

What I'm trying to say is please, please have your birds health checked (and sexed)

As for the behavioral issues, sure, I can help with that:  You'll find everything you need right here

Oh and no, you don't need a 'board certified avian vet' to see your birds.  While that's preferable - ANY vet who sees predominantly birds will be fine

Banfield clinic in Pet Smart's are open 7 days a week;  Pet Co has lists of vets for birds you can call and just ask for; ANY vet in town will know of a good bird vet.   And with a regular office visit here costing only $40, even twice a year only amounts to about .25 cents a day.  

Good luck!  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister