Parrots/In Search of Quiet Parrot

Hi Reverend Abbott,
I'm parrot hunting. Also, not interested in budgies, finches, conures, and smaller birds. I live in an apartment with neighbors and a quieter parrot is almost a must. I've heard generally that the Pionus, Senegals, and Meyers Parrots tend to be quieter. Then heard there are really no quiet species, only quiet individuals.
Maybe I'd be better off adopting a "known quiet bird" from a parrot rescue or adoption agency. That way, maybe I'd luck out and find a quiet Cockatoo, McCaw, or Amazon. I figure bird adoption or bird rescues would come more being honest about a bird's screaming/vocals because they stand to profit none or less than a pet store or breeder and the rescue agency would be more concerned about the bird matching to the right owner. They would also seem aware of a bird's loudness from it's previous owners. The pet store's or breeder's interest might just be to get the bird out the door and make a profit. I'd rather have a second hand bird with known quietness so I wouldn't desire to return or sell it, compared to obtaining a young, hand-fed bird and finding later it makes too much noise. Might this all mean a better reason to go the adoption route, especially if noise is an issue? Are there any drawbacks in adopting a bird?  

Thank you.

-- Looking for a 'quiet' parrot is like having a baby and insisting they don't poop their pants, drool or cry.

A psittacine (the birds you're interested in) is, by nature (hard wired) going to make noise.  It's what they are.  What they do.  It's a glorious sound that indicates their joy and their 'selves'.

What a loved, well cared for bird CAN be expected to do is stay quiet as a mouse at night.  Our birds have a sleep cage where it's dark and quiet for 12-14 hours every single night.  From 7 pm when they go to bed, until 7, 8 or 9 a.m. when they get up, they are blissfully quiet.

During the day, a loved, well adjusted bird won't scream constantly, but here and there.

To have a bird with this much security you'd have to be sure it received hands on interaction every single day for at least an hour or two straight.  No caging or very little caging.  

Well, to make this easier, look here  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister