Parrots/Cockatiel is having attacks

Hello I have a 6year old female cockatiel.
Past two days once at 6pm and once at 9pm she fell off her perch started screaming horribly and thrashing around for 20 seconds.  Then I rushed to her aid slowly sayin her name and she seemed lost and panicked for two minutes then she recovers a d back to normal within an hour or two.
Never happened before.   Eats millet.  Clean cage, fresh food water daily. Lots of attention.  She's never been jumpy before.  Always had a tv in the room never bothered her or the dove (separate cage next to her)
It's my senior moms bird any elpnwould be great

--  You're describing 'night frights'; rather common in 'tiels

Often the best solution is a very quiet, separate sleep cage where it's all covered except 1/2 of the front door so she can see out and reassure herself that she's safe.

A dim light in the room (nightlight?) helps too.    This should stop the night frights, or reduce them quite a bit

See more about how to set up a sleep cage here  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister