Parrots/Conure or Cuban Amazon?

Ι have always wanted a parrot, however I never got one because I do not like animals staying many hours home alone. Fortunately, a few months ago I started working in my home office and since I am home all day, I thought of finally getting one!! I would like to have it with me while I work to keep me company and cheer my office ;)
I went to a pet shop and saw the cutest dusky conure. She was really sweet and playful and would let me pet her right away. She also was so fun! Μy husband, who is from Cuba, is telling me to get a Cuban Amazon. Stating that they make fantastic, clever and fun loving pets. I do live in a big townhouse so I have space for a large cage. I am more worried about the neighbors, though. Are they really that loud? Ι mean, I have seen videos in you-tube, however I wonder if that happens just a few times a day or if they really are screaming all day long. Do they also scream at night? Is any of the species quieter than the other?

Τhank you so much for your help.

-- Each bird of each species has their own personality.  I've met some pretty aggressive, cranky cockatiels - while others have been incredibly sweet and gentle.  The same applies to every bird, from the smallest of budgies to the biggest of macaws.
A good deal of how a bird behaves is how the human treats them.  If you're patient, understanding, compassionate and give them unconditional love, they tend to be the same.
Just like a parent who encourages and supports their child tends to have good children.
And we all know that in some cases no matter how perfect we are as owners of animals or parents of children - sometimes things just don't turn out the way we'd like.

Some birds are outgoing and talkative; others are quiet and retiring.  Of the two options you're talking about, they are probably the most often complained about with regard to noise.  BUT that's because they require attention and amusement and input.  It's possible to have a well behaved conure or amazon, but it's a LOT of work.  Very rewarding work though.  If you're home and have the bird with you all the time - it shouldn't matter which one you get.

Conures are very active - the 'clown' of the bird world.  Amazons are a bit less active and better talkers.
Aggression is something that usually happens as the result of fear or nervousness.  So a confident bird that feels safe and loved is not likely to be aggressive.
As for speaking, all psittacines (parrots or birds with 'hooked bills') have the capability of mimicking or 'speech'.  Even some other birds like Mynah's have the ability.
When it comes to them actually wanting to DO this, to use words, that's another individual thing.
Probably the best talkers are male cockatiels and any African Gray parrots.  Amazons are also very good.  
With this said, the biggest mistake a human can make is to try to find a bird to provide conversation.  
You're better off looking for a bird that's a good listener.  

Birds aren't 'easy care' animals.  If they aren't interacted with every day - which includes at least two hours of out of cage time, touching, bonding with you, they can quickly become what a human perceives as "unfriendly".   That includes LOUD.  

And when it comes to food - well, if you're not one to cook for yourself or make a fuss over meals, this has to change when you have a bird.

They need a base diet of quality pellets (not seeds - birds living with humans should never be fed a diet of seeds) and fresh fruit and vegetables.

That means lots of slicing, dicing, chopping and in many cases, cooking.  They need things like cooked rice, quinoa, whole grain pasta, beans and so on to accompany their fresh diet.

Take a look here
 I often have 4 macaws (the loudest of birds!) in one place at one time and because of their regular interactions with people and a schedule (birds love and need 'habit' with regular new interests and challenges thrown in)  - they are amazingly quiet house guests

You're doing a fine job in trying to find out all you can first rather than just pick a bird and hope it's like you've seen in movies or t.v. shows - or even in someone else's house

That's very, very wise of you!

Keep it up

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister