Parrots/Moths coming from a Quaker parrot

Question
My mother in law lives with me and my husband and she owns a Quaker parrot. In the past year we have been getting little moths all around the house that seem to be coming from the parrots cage. We have bathed the parrot, cleaned his cage and even moved to a new house! But we still seem to be getting these little flying insects that look just like moths....but unlike no other moth I've ever seen! They are small, two toned gray, and like to get into our food pantry. Ive never even seen a moth like this in anyone elses house, or anywhere else for that matter. Also, after time passes, it seems like they lay larvae that resembles little worms! We are clean people who never leave food out or anything that could be attracting these insects. Please please tell me something we can do to remedy this issue with the bird! It's driving me crazy and my mother in law will NEVER be willing to get rid of her bird!

Answer
-- Eeek!  Stop thinking it's from your bird.  Poor birdy doesn't care for these common pests either.  We ALL have them.  Especially if you're feeding birdy seeds.  Anything with grains will do it too.

The sure fire 'cure' is to store ALL bird food (that's not fresh food) in the freezer for two days to kill any larvae or early moths.  Then store the food in the fridge for the summer

These are called flour moths; Indian meal moths; Mediterranean Flour Moth and a host of different names.

I store all bird food, including pellets, in airtight zip top bags and come early spring it all goes into a freezer section until use.  

Constant vacuuming, not just the floor, but edges, corners, along the upper edges of the walls and inside all your cabinets, as well as the edges under them is tedious, but helpful.  

These moths arenít just feeding in seed, but will enjoy your flour, pasta, rice - even cereal and quite a few other packaged items you think they canít get into.  Chances are they are in there and you don't know it.  One way to tell is to slowly open these things and carefully look for what appears to be cobwebbing.  Many people don't pay any attention to this, thinking it's just dust or something.  Nope, it's from those annoying moths laying egg sacs.

There are pheromone products on the market that attract and eliminate the male moths.  Without them, the females soon die off without reproducing.

These DO work!!  You can find for them in pet stores (usually at a higher price) or in garden supply stores like OSH and Lowes where you'll get two in a package for around $5-7.00

Oh and by the way, the moths and the larvae are harmless.  You have no idea of the millions of people and animals that end up eating them and never even know it.  High up on the 'ewww' factor right?

www.4animalcare.org

Help our blind macaw?  http://funds.gofundme.com/index.php?route=fundmanager

Parrots

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott