Parrots/African gray biting

My gray is 16 years old ow and I've had him since he was 3 months. He has over the last 3 years turned into a vicious biter. He will just come after you unexpectedly. I use a ladder to pick him up and down but now he's running down the ladder to bite me. He is only in his cage at night, has loads of toys and swings and mostly the run of the house. Besides seeds, I feed him lots of fruits and veggies.  This morning he took a chunk out of my hand and I've put him in his cage and covered him. I plan on leaving him in his cage for a few days which I've  never done before. I'm at the end of my rope with him but know I couldn't find him a new home, i feel he would probabely be mistreated because f hs behavior. We bought a companion bird for him, a lavender naped green parrot  but that hasn't helped.   What can I do?

--By putting him his cage you're rewarding him.   It's likely he'll become cage bound and actually prefer it since there's no pressure on him to behave.   When a bird starts biting, adhering to a routine is even more important.   

He shouldn't have such freedom though.  It shouldn't be HIS decision to go here or there.  You need a perch or play gym that confines him to one area only

When it comes to adding another bird, well, that made things worse too.  Why should either of them bond with a human when they have each other?  And the biter will teach by example that biting is ok and a way to get what he wants.

When people add another bird for the wrong reasons they simply double their troubles.

--- Check here for steps to get your bird back on the right track   Scroll to the 'biting and screaming' section

Good luck!  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister