Parrots/Baby Lovebirds

Hi , my lovebirds mated and now have  5 eggs. 2 of the 5 eggs hatched this morning and babies are doing well so far, but I do not know really what to do. I have read and read on the internet but getting conflicting answers.  My questions are : do I need to provide special food to the parents ?  Do I need to remove the Dad anytime duirng the preiod that the babies are growing ?  I rescued these birds and I was not ready for them to breed but they kind of did this on their own... I need Help ; advise, I would like for them to survive.

---  The best thing to do is nothing.  Birds have been doing this for nearly 2 billion years before we humans arrived on this planet and chances are they'll continue doing it successfully for a billion years after we are extinct.

The dad needs to stay with them

As for feeding, hopefully you're already feeding them a pellet diet and plenty of fresh, healthy fruits and vegetables.  If not, this makes it more complicated.   You can't exactly adjust the parents diet right now or it will stress them out

Check here for some fresh food options to add  

Rev. Dr. S.August Abbott

Certified Avian Specialist; Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council member; Own animal rescue org; National Wildlife habitat #66378; bird care, nutrition & behavior consultant; International Assoc. of Animal Behavior Consultants Associate; National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club member; published bird care, info and behavior articles and guides. Ongoing education in exotic bird behavior and nutrition I can answer behavioral, nutritional, environmental, characteristic/personality questions as well as general health and health care. No animal emergency can ever be addressed on the internet. We cannot see your animal, perform an examination, provide necessary care or medication. Please value your companion for the priceless, living creature they are; not for what you might have paid for them.

Certified Avian Specialist. For more than 30 years I've worked with veterinarians, protective facilities, nature centers, preserves and on my own in providing care and education with regard to multiple animal species, including raptors (hawks, kestrals, owls, etc) and marsupials. In recent years I've focused on parrots, usually rescued from abusive or less than ideal situations and helping educate owners as to proper care. Expert in behavior studies and modification of problem behavior.

4AnimalCare is the organization I run as an animal ministry; World Wildlife Association, Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, National Wildlife Federation Leaders Club and more

Bird Talk Magazine articles about rescued and problem macaws.

Doctorate, Ordained Minister