Parrots/Blue and gold macaw/ 25 years of age

My macaw named "Oliver" saw my father pass away as he was in the same room. Ever since then he has been picking out his chest feathers. Now he is completely bald. What can i do?

Hello there, sorry for the late reply. It seems an email has not arrived to me. thank you for your question. Oliver is feather plucking and this may be due to several reasons.Depression, agression, lonliness or other several reasons. Here the case is lonliness and depression from the information you kindly supplied. Oliver is suffering lonliness/depression due to him not having anyone to see or interact with causing boredom.
Now, the question here is how to stop this?
Stopping this is quiet of a trick that may be difficult or simple depending on how serious the depression is.The ultimate solution is toys !. 1. Supply him many ropes, wooden toys,papers hanged from top of the cage,  mirrors, clean water, sunlight, fruits, vegtables. The reason I mentioned ropes, papers and wooden toys is that he will find somthing else to direct  his anger  on and chew off; moreover, the reason why i mentioned mirrors as that will make oliver see his reflection thinking its another bird. So place the mirror somewhere your parrot always sits so that he can always watch himself and within a few days he will interact with himself; furthermore, the reason why i mentioned clean water, fruits and veggies is to get rid of his boredom. If you have a small cage, upgrade to a larger one and if you have a circular cage then change it to another one as circular cages make parrots restless. Your parrot might take some time to adjust to the toys and may be frightened however within time he will start to play with them. The toys i mentioned specifically are extremly important for a happy healthy parrot. Dont give only sunflower which kills the bird in the long run. Talk to your bird, take it out and give it some time.

Hope this helps, Kindly subscribe to my channel named "Parrot Whisperer" which will supply you with a lot of help. Like our facebook page named bird tameness which will provide you the best tips.dont forget to rate.

Parrot whisperer

I am able to answer any question regarding Parrots including : trick training Health illness symptoms such as feather plucking how to tame them how to deal with agression or depression problems Parrots as first pets how to know there approximate age cages,appropriate toys for excersise how to know whether they are male or female how to deal with emergencies(injuries, wounds..obesity...ect) Things i may not be able to answer: very deep unknown illnesses or difficult to recognise or breeding large parrot species.

I have many years of experience with birds. i have dealt with alexanderines, cockatiels, african greys , cockatoos, umbrellas, galahs, sulfur crested, rednecks, lutino cocktiels, pied cocktiels, congos , timinehs and more. I have recieved many customers asking to tame , train and teach there birds tricks and about there healthy diet. I have transformed their aggressive depressed bird into a cuddly loving creature. The whole secret is offering them love, dedication and time ! I have written a full taming and training book present now on called: secrets to taming, training and teaching birds tricks revealed. This book aims to untilise both bird owners and the birds themselves I have organised a page on facebook named bird tameness which specifically advices,solves, shares and deals with all bird problems and aims to build "trustworthiness" with bird owners. Also, i have offered many free training and taming videos on my youtube channel named "Parrot whisperer".

-bird tameness facebook page-i belong as a manager, personal trainer and founder -bird tameness' supplies facebook page -taming, training and rescuing unwanted birds in dubai -guiding bird lovers to purchasing the right pet for them in UAE.

The official book i personally published called: secrets to taming, training and teaching birds tricks revealed.

-bird tameness facebook page -researches conducted - -major experience with parrots and organisations.

recieveing praises, complements, Thani you emails and more for helping wordldwide people with there birds incluDing US, SOUTH AFRICA, DUBAI , LEBANON AND MORE.

i have a moderator, content creator, sponser and a manager of the bird tameness facebook page